Ph.D in Human Services Degree
The Ph.D. in Human Services program at Albizu University, Miami campus, prepares students to become culturally competent and socially responsible professionals who excel as advocates, scholars, and leaders serving and empowering marginalized and underserved populations.
Students enter the program with master’s degrees in disciplines that include mental health, psychology, education, social work, sociology, speech and language pathology, pastoral counseling, anthropology, nursing, public health, and criminal justice, among others.
We offer all our courses in hybrid format, and all of our classrooms are equipped for virtual learning, which provides a flexible option for our students.
The program prepares you to take a leadership role in serving individuals in need, their families, and their communities by building your proficiency in the following areas:
- Mediating conflicting situations, handling crises and attending human resources matters
- Developing or expanding research programs, seeking and obtaining funding, and analyzing and interpreting policies, rules, regulations, and laws
- Understanding the administrative roles and processes of nonprofit organizations
- Negotiating contracts and agreements with for-profit and nonprofit organizations and federal agencies
- Leading others in the human services field, enabling them to achieve collective goals through effective planning, integration, and organization
The general curriculum prepares culturally sensitive human services professionals who are proficient as organizational leaders, academicians, researchers, and advocates.
- The Conflict Resolution specialization provides the additional skills and strategies needed to become an effective local and international negotiator, peacemaker, and agent of change.
- The Gerontology specialization highlights successful aging as well as specific strategies and services to help older adults better cope with biological, personality, social, and cognitive changes.
- The Children and Families specialization focuses on the role of advocacy in addressing pressing issues faced by youth at risk and their families, as well as on skills and abilities that enhance protective efforts.
- The Neurolearning Specialization reviews the neuroscience foundations of learning, cognition and emotion in both the normal and pathological brain, offering an effective approach to identify and treat neurodevelopmental variations.
Our courses are taught by professors who are both academics and active professionals. Faculty members bring to the classroom a working expertise in theories, research, and practice in their fields.
A Strong Heritage
Founded in 1966 Albizu University is the first professional school of psychology established in North America and the Caribbean.
Albizu University offers morning, afternoon, evening, and night classes to provide you with the flexibility and convenience you need to meet all of life’s demands. Online classes and programs are also available.
Albizu University, founded in 1966 and established in Miami in 1980, is the first Hispanic Institution specializing in Graduate Study in Psychology in Puerto Rico, United States, and The Caribbean. Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), and licensed by the Commission for Independent Education of the Florida Department of Education (CIE). The Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). The Master in Science in Speech and Language Pathology is accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). © Albizu University 2015.
about your goals and how we can help you reach them.
The PhD in Human Services offers to doctoral students who demonstrate excellence, membership at the Beta Beta Alpha Chapter, part of the Tau Upsilon Alpha (TUA) National Organization for Human Services Honor Society. The mission of TUA is to honor academic excellence; to foster lifelong learning, leadership and development; and to promote excellence in service to humanity.
Member benefits of the Beta Beta Alpha Chapter include
- Pin and Certificate
- Graduation Regalia
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Experiences gained through local chapter activities are great for resume/vitae building
- Recognition as a member of an academic and professional honor society
- Lifetime Membership